Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Long Tindora










Long Tindora, also called ivy gourd, can be bought at your local Indian grocery store.

Ingredients

1 pound long tindora (they look like really small cucumber)
5 cherry tomatoes rinsed and halved
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp salt or to taste
1/2 cup water

Rinse tindoras and cut them lengthwise discarding the top and bottom. Roast the sesame seeds in oil for a few seconds then add the garlic paste, ginger, tomatoes and tindoras to the pan. Toss, add the salt, spices, and then the water. Mix well. Cover with a lid and cook for about twenty minutes. Stir two to three times during this duration. It should be cooked until the ivy gourd becomes tender.

Serve with your favorite loaf of bread.

Serves four.

One thing I have observed last month is that I get sunlight in the kitchen in my Seattle home. Although I had a small window in my kitchen in Columbus, where I lived for many years before moving to Seattle; I did not get direct sunlight in my kitchen. My food tastes better when sunshine falls on the stove while cooking. Makes me wonder if I should go into solar cooking all together. It is possible that sunlight makes us happy and I am fond of sunny days. So, I enjoy spending more time in my sunny kitchen cooking for my family.

Happy Cooking!

No comments: