Friday, April 25, 2008

Nutty Rice (Almond, Walnut Rice)

Nutty Rice (Almond, Walnut Rice)

My daughter and I were invited to a potluck lunch on a Thursday summer afternoon. This was when we lived in Columbus, Ohio. Friends started a Ladies Day at an apartment complex close to our place. It was a time when women took an enjoyable break while their kids got acquainted with children of a similar age. Anyway, I wanted to take something out of the ordinary, something new and different. My eyes searched for novel ingredients in the kitchen and stopped looking when my eyes lay on almonds and walnuts. I figured I could try something different, to see if it appealed to other palates.

That is how this recipe was born.

Ingredients

1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup walnuts
2 cup cooked plain rice
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp pomegranate powder (anardana powder)
3/4 tsp chilli powder
1/4 cup water

Optional Ingredients

1/2 cinnamon stick broken into pieces

Heat oil in a sauce pan on medium heat and add almonds, walnuts, cinnamon sticks. After the almonds turn lightly browned take the pan away from heat and add salt, pomegranate (anardana) powder, (which can be found at your local Indian grocery store) turmeric powder, water and boiled rice. Stir well. Serve warm.

Serves four with other dishes.

Happy Cooking!

Enjoy your weekend.

No comments: