Friday, August 28, 2009

Interesting Tidbits

Did you know that chives are the cultivated descendant of a wild plant of central Europe which is found in rocky and hilly regions even today?

I have grown chives in my backyard and was pleasantly surprised that it is pretty easy to grow them. I planted them in late spring and enjoyed them in the summer by adding chopped chives to garnish some of the lentil soups I made. I add them to pastas and they look and taste great.
I would just cut a small cluster needed for my recipe and they just grew back in a few days.

Gau Wong are blanched Chinese chives that do not have color but are tender. They are added to noodles etc.

Suggestion: Add freshly chopped chives to your soup because the crisp texture enhances the flavor of your dish.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

mad4books said...

Inquiring minds want to know: Will chives give me "onion breath?" I often skip or reduce onion out of consideration for others. Maybe chives are an alternative?

I also love the way they look in any dish...

Stuti Garg said...

They do have some odor, so you may want to eat it on days when you are at home or brush after eating onions.
:)


Thanks.